maandag 13 juli 2009

Agnietenkapel

Photobucket

Picture of the entrance gate to the Agnietenkapel, to be found in the oldest part of the city (on the Oudezijds Voorburgwal).

Built in 1470 as a chapel for a perticular franciscan nun's order (the Agnieten), the Agnietenkapel had a religious function until the catholic-protestant alteration of Amsterdam took place in 1578. As from that moment on catholicism couldn't be practiced publicly anymore, the nuns left their chapel and the Agnietenkapel lost its religious connection. In 1631 the building became the cradle of the University of Amsterdam, which is still the owner of the kapel today.

(I confess I did look up the years mentioned in this post :P)

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Bonita fachada, me recuerda de los edificios de los aztecas.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. That's an awesome looking doorway!
    I always have to look up information for my blog posts too ;)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen