zaterdag 8 augustus 2009

De Armeense Kerk

Photobucket

Today I decided to stay with the same tolerance-towards-religions topic I more or less discussed yesterday too, by uploading this picture of an Armenian text, found above the front door of the Armenian church of Amsterdam.

I don't speak (neither read) Armenian, so I don't know what the text says. All I know is that the church was inaugurated in 1714, after many Armenians had come to live in Amsterdam, bringing along their religion and their specific cultural traits.

The church is hard to find, because it's not in a building that would immediately catch someone's attention. It's in one of the oldest parts of the city, in between the canals and some old warehouses. I believe the building is still being used as a church for Armenian Apostolics.

1 opmerking:

  1. No tenía idea que los armenios habían emigrado a Holanda en esa época. Al final uno siempre encuentra armenios en TODOS lados xD. Sería bonito un día entrar y ver si puedes sacarle fotos porque me imagino que debe ser impresionante por dentro.

    Voy a ver si lo pongo en algun foro para que lo traduzcan.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen